How to do a Fundraiser for Casa de Peregrinos Food Pantry
Casa de Peregrinos is blessed to be the recipient of funds raised through community initiatives and special events planned by businesses, organizations, families, and individuals. Large and small, these contributions add to our ability to serve needy families in the community and we encourage everyone to join with us in raising money to fight food insecurity.
Coordination, organization and fiscal accountability are key to a successful fundraiser, and we ask anyone who is contemplating a fundraiser for CdP to adhere to the following guidelines. This will assure that donors are confident about how their money is being used, and that the event is successful and rewarding to those putting in the effort to organize it.
* The event must comply with all relevant laws and regulations.
* The sponsor must obtain all necessary permits, licenses and insurance.
* To avoid competition or schedule conflicts, all fundraising events should be scheduled through Casa de Peregrinos, on the form attached. Four weeks in advance is desired.
* The sponsoring organization agrees to indemnify and hold harmless Casa de Peregrinos, and all of its officers, directors and employees from any and all claims and liabilities in any way related to the event.
* Before using any form of the Casa de Peregrinos logo or images in press releases, invitations, posters, tickets or other promotional materials, approval must be received from CdP.
* Casa de Peregrinos may advertise the fundraiser in its regular newsletters and mailers, if timely, but will not give out any mailing lists to another organization or individual to advertise a fundraiser.
* The sponsor should not depend solely on Casa de Peregrinos staff or volunteers for ticket sales, raffle ticket sales, or sponsorship solicitation.
* When approaching business and corporations for support, note that many local businesses are already involved with Casa de Peregrinos. Reviewing the list of businesses that will be approached with Casa de Peregrinos staff can avoid conflict or discomfort.
* If desired, and schedules permit, CdP may provide a representative to speak at the event.
* A sponsoring organization must be in compliance with IRS regulations which require that all tickets, invitations and entry forms state what portion of the contribution is tax deductible.
* Casa de Peregrinos is unable to advance any expenses for third party events. All expenses are the responsibility of the sponsor, to be reimbursed out of the proceeds of the event.
* Proceeds should be delivered to Casa de Peregrinos within 45 days of the event. A personal presentation, with photographs
and press coverage can be arranged if desired.
* Verification of actual revenue and expenses must be submitted upon request.
SUGGESTIONS FOR FUNDRAISERS
Whatever kind of fundraiser you are planning, it's a tough job to do alone. Get a team of like-minded individuals together who believe in the same cause, and work together to put on a successful fundraiser.
THE OLD RELIABLES
Stick to the classics. Consider sticking to the classics. Fundraisers like bake sales and gift wrapping have existed for a long time for a reason. They work. Have a bake or craft sale. Bake sales and craft sales allow the community to participate by contribute homemade goods. If planned around a holiday, attendance is generally higher as people are looking for Christmas presents. Host a party. This is great if you're trying to raise funds locally, or want to target your friends but not pressure them into a donation. Host a party with clear message and inform guests about the opportunity for donating. Give a short presentation on the cause during the gathering if possible. Hold a car wash. Another classic fundraiser, the car wash is still an effective fundraiser, especially in the summer months. Hold a raffle. If you can come up with some
good prizes, you may be able to hold a raffle. Be sure to check the local regulations on holding raffles, as they may be considered gambling and require a permit.
Consider gift wrapping if you're fundraising around Christmas. You can charge patrons a small fee to have their items custom gift wrapped for a cause.
ON LINE? Another possibility for fundraising is to conduct a crowdfunding campaign. There are a variety of websites online that allow you to create a fundraising campaign for virtually any cause. Anyone that visits the page can donate any amount they'd like. Many crowdfunding sites allow you to set up different tiers of donations.
A successful crowdfunding campaign benefits from a catchy or compelling statement and description in order to stand out from the thousands of active campaigns. You'll have to advertise on social media heavily. Due to the newer nature of crowdfunding campaigns, it might be best to crowdfund if you're targeting a younger demographic.
As soon as you have a good idea about your event and timeframe, complete the registration form attached for a fundraiser. Someone from CdP will be in contact within the next few days to talk about the details with you.
Once you've settled on a project, you'll need to advertise. The way you advertise depends on your audience. Older demographics tend to prefer traditional forms of advertisement, like flyers and radio ads. Younger demographics are most likely to make plans via social media. Send out invitations if you're doing something like a dinner. A classy invitation can entice people to want to come to your event. If invitations stretch your budget, consider evites.
Figure out the logistics. One of the hardest parts of fundraising is the planning stage. Make sure you figure out all the logistics of planning the event. It can help to separate duties into categories and build teams from there. One group can responsible for managing money, another responsible for booking venues, another for food, another for set up, etc.
Double check all your information. Make sure you're following all regulations regarding fundraisers before engaging in the event.
Build a strong social media presence. A strong social media presence is key for successful fundraising. Get on Facebook, Twitter, Foursquare, and other social media outlets.
Be meticulous about money: Itemize expenses and keep records. who donated, how much they donated, lists of expenses and copies of receipts.
Make donating as easy as possible. The easier it is to donate to your cause, the more money you'll be likely to raise. Make it easy for potential donors to make a contribution. If you have a website set up to collect donations, ensure that it is easy to navigate. Low minimums for donations are more likely to make people feel like they can afford it.
Thank each of your donors. Each person that donates should receive a message from you or your organization, thanking them for their contribution and outlining what the money will be used for. Make the donor feel good about the money that they contributed.
Thank you for your interest in conducting a fundraiser for CdP.
CdP 3rd Party Fundraiser Registration Form
Please fill out the form below to register your fundraiser with Casa de Peregrinos. We will be in contact with you within the next few days to discuss the details.